With summer well underway, now is the perfect time to check your air conditioning unit and give it a proper tune-up. With the right maintenance, you can prepare your cooling system for the large amount of use it will receive in the following months.
As with many complex machines, there is certain maintenance that needs to be done regularly and some that is required annually to address the normal wear and tear that occurs over the course of a year.
Certain central air repairs only need to be done when a component is broken or causing an issue. Here is a brief checklist of what preventative maintenance and performance-enhancing tasks you can expect to take place during a central air inspection by your HVAC technician:
- Ensuring there is enough refrigerant for efficient operation
- Cleaning the evaporator and condenser coils
- Testing and adjusting blower components for proper airflow
- Checking that the thermostat is working properly and communicating accurately with the system
- Inspecting and adjusting electrical connections to improve safety
- Inspecting the drip pan and condensate drain lines
- Lubricating moving parts in the blower motor
- Checking the system controls to ensure the cooling cycle stages are accurate
Additionally, as a homeowner, you can perform a few maintenance tasks yourself at the start of the summer, such as checking and potentially changing furnace filters; cleaning around the condenser; and resetting your thermostat for the cooling season.
The Benefits of Central Air Repair
If there are certain aspects of your central air conditioner that have been damaged or aren’t working properly, your HVAC technician can fix the problem or schedule an appointment to come back to complete a central air repair job.
Detecting and fixing issues early is more cost-effective than waiting until further damage is done. Also, ensuring each component is working properly boosts the performance of your cooling system, so it is running smoothly and efficiently.
By getting your preventative maintenance and possible central air repairs done early, you can look forward to enjoying a nice, cool summer.